Subject: RE: thanks!!
From: "Larry J. Wagenaar" <[email-masked]>
To: "Patty & Mike Finan" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 May 2005 10:43:40 -0400

Patty,

It would be best if we can set up with tables so people can spread out.
Pews won't work so well and people will not be able to take notes
effectively or be able to handle any materials the instructor may hand out
to work on.  Also, the sanctuary may be difficult for acoustics due to the
size.  Do they have an educational room in the basement that is smaller?

At this point my guess is that we will see 15-20 people, although it will
depend on the response once PR starts in the next two weeks.  We try to cap
these at 30-35 at most so it keeps the workshop feel and interaction between
the participants and the instructor.  I did get a call from someone at the
county historical society that was going to promote the workshop as well.

Currently no one is signed up.  The first e-mail blast on it will go out in
the next two weeks, as soon as I have some more text on content from the
instructor.  That will direct folks to the HSM website for on-line
registration.  I also plan a one-page flier that you can use for Thumb area
distribution with a registration form they can mail in.  I will do that also
when i get TJ's text.

For lunch I think it would be easiest to line up a local sandwich shop like
Subway if you have one for sandwiches or a party sub along with some chips,
pop, coleslaw or some such thing and a dessert like cookies or brownies.
I'm open to other ideas if you want to pursue something else locally.  We
normally target a max of about $5-6pp for lunch, which is why Subway or
similar arrangements work well.

My guess is that TJ will need a screen.  I think he brings his own LCD
projector but I will check with him.

Larry J. Wagenaar, Executive Director
The Historical Society of Michigan
1305 Abbott Rd.
East Lansing,  MI  48823
Phone: (517) 324-1828
Fax: (517) 324-4370
Mobile: (616) 283-4944
E-mail: [email-masked]

  -----Original Message-----
  From: Patty & Mike Finan [mailto:[email-masked]]
  Sent: Tuesday, May 10, 2005 10:16 AM
  To: [email-masked]
  Subject: Re: thanks!!

  Hi Larry,

  The place we will hold the seminar is in our Huron City Church. It has
pews set up for about 200. I've included an old photo of the inside. The
pews that are facing the middle on the right and left sides now face the
front. We can move in tables in the front or towards the side, if we need
to. I'll check and see how many tables we can hold.

  Do you have anyone signed up for the course yet? Do you want me to arrange
for lunch when we have a better idea of numbers? Do you need any type of A/V
equipment?

  Thanks!
  Patty
    ----- Original Message -----
    From: Larry J. Wagenaar
    To: Patty & Mike Finan
    Sent: Friday, May 06, 2005 10:48 AM
    Subject: RE: thanks!!

    Hi Patty,

    Now that Michigan History Day is nearly wrapped up I can put more focus
on our summer activities including the Basic Curatorial Skills workshop on
July 20.  I have asked the instructor to write 2-3 paragraphs with more
information on what he plans to cover.  As soon as I have this I will share
it with you and also mount it on our website.

    In the next couple of weeks I want to do an e-mail blast to HSM members
and historical organizations statewide on this workshop.  We have found this
works better that direct mail much of the time.  I would like to see how
well this develops registrants before we do a separate mailing.  A mailing
would likely be targeted to people living in the Thumb and a circle reaching
to Lansing and Detroit.

    Could you let me know what the room is like where we will do the
workshop?  What is the seating capacity if we put people at tables facing
forward in a workshop arrangement?

    Hope all is well with you Patty.

    Larry

    Larry J. Wagenaar, Executive Director
    The Historical Society of Michigan
    1305 Abbott Rd.
    East Lansing,  MI  48823
    Phone: (517) 324-1828
    Fax: (517) 324-4370
    Mobile: (616) 283-4944
    E-mail: [email-masked]

      -----Original Message-----
      From: Patty & Mike Finan [mailto:[email-masked]]
      Sent: Thursday, March 24, 2005 5:26 PM
      To: Larry J. Wagenaar
      Subject: thanks!!

      Hi Larry,

      Thanks for the extra copies of the article. It looks good and we were
glad to help!

      Patty Finan
      Huron City Museums
      7995 Pioneer Drive
      Port Austin MI 48467
      989-738-6007