Subject: women lawyers
From: "Susan Nenadic" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: "Dean S Smith" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2007 07:58:31 -0400

I finally got to the Bentley archives to check on the names.  Laverne
Basset, as it turns out, was a man.  For Mrs. Sue Getchell there was no info
except that she died in 1903 in San Diego.  So she only lived 13 years after
graduation.

However, we hit the jackpot with Mrs. Flora Woodward Tibbits who not only
practiced law for 4 years but also got a medical degree from Hahnemann
Medical College in Chicago and practiced medicine from 1906 on.  She  did a
post graduate year in law at the Chicago College of law and got an MA in
literature from Northeast Kentucky College.  AND the file suggested that she
was at the Univ. of Minn. in 1904 though unclear as to what she was doing.
Maybe clinical practice.  Anyway she sounds like a very energetic and
impressive woman as so many career women of that era were.  She seems to
have mainatained a second home in Boyne City MI and died in Charlevoix in
1945.

She was born in Paducah, Kentucky and died at the age of 74.  IF that info
is correct she was young to be getting out of law school.

Hope this helps.  If you need anything else, just let me know.

Susan