Subject: RE: Monthly Newsletter & a few other things
From: "Wiese, LaNette" <[email-masked]>
To: "Patty and Mike Finan" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2008 11:12:42 -0500

Great comments Patty!

LaNette R Wiese 
Assistant Branch Manager 
Kinde 
Independent Bank 
989-874-4500 
Fax 989-874-5107 

Privacy Statement: 
This message may contain confidential information that is protected
under state and/or federal law.  If you received this message in error,
please notify the sender by fax or email and delete this message.  If
you properly received this message, you may use its contents only in
strict accordance with our instructions and privacy policy.

If any person makes a false or misleading representation to obtain
customer information, that person may have committed a federal crime,
and we may report that person to the proper authorities.

________________________________

From: Patty and Mike Finan [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Friday, December 12, 2008 10:56 AM
To: Wiese, LaNette; Rene Nichols; Michel & Ilze Ricou, The Port Austin
Motel; [email-masked]; Stephen Schmidt; Darci Finan
Subject: Re: Monthly Newsletter & a few other things

Here are my comments - I put them in red.
 
Patty

	----- Original Message ----- 
	From: Wiese, LaNette <mailto:[email-masked]>  
	To: Rene Nichols <mailto:[email-masked]>  ; Michel & Ilze
Ricou, The Port Austin Motel <mailto:[email-masked]>  ; Patty and
Mike Finan <mailto:[email-masked]>  ; [email-masked] ;
Stephen Schmidt <mailto:[email-masked]>  ; Darci Finan
<mailto:[email-masked]>  
	Sent: Friday, December 12, 2008 9:26 AM
	Subject: RE: Monthly Newsletter & a few other things

	Rene,
	I will forward.
	thanks

	LaNette R Wiese 
	Assistant Branch Manager 
	Kinde 
	Independent Bank 
	989-874-4500 
	Fax 989-874-5107 

	Privacy Statement: 
	This message may contain confidential information that is
protected under state and/or federal law.  If you received this message
in error, please notify the sender by fax or email and delete this
message.  If you properly received this message, you may use its
contents only in strict accordance with our instructions and privacy
policy.

	If any person makes a false or misleading representation to
obtain customer information, that person may have committed a federal
crime, and we may report that person to the proper authorities.

________________________________

	From: Rene Nichols [mailto:[email-masked]] 
	Sent: Thursday, December 11, 2008 5:10 PM
	To: Wiese, LaNette
	Subject: RE: Monthly Newsletter & a few other things

	Good comments & thanks for taking time to do this......it would
probably be good for each of us to share our comments and any new ideas
with the whole board.....might lead to more good things.....I didn't
want to forward your comments without asking first....Would you mind
forwarding them to the rest of
	the board?
	 
	Talk to you soon,
	 
	Rene

	
________________________________

	Subject: RE: Monthly Newsletter & a few other things
	Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2008 13:03:45 -0500
	From: [email-masked]
	To: [email-masked]

	

	LaNette R Wiese 
	Assistant Branch Manager 
	Kinde 
	Independent Bank 
	989-874-4500 
	Fax 989-874-5107 
	Privacy Statement: 
	This message may contain confidential information that is
protected under state and/or federal law.  If you received this message
in error, please notify the sender by fax or email and delete this
message.  If you properly received this message, you may use its
contents only in strict accordance with our instructions and privacy
policy.
	If any person makes a false or misleading representation to
obtain customer information, that person may have committed a federal
crime, and we may report that person to the proper authorities.

________________________________

	From: Rene Nichols [mailto:[email-masked]] 
	Sent: Friday, December 05, 2008 4:00 AM
	To: Chamber of Commerce; Acct.Abililty/Stacey Viers; Port Austin
State Bank; Port Austin Motel/Ricou, Michel; Captain Morgans; Huron City
Museums; Wiese, LaNette
	Cc: Nichols, Rene
	Subject: Monthly Newsletter & a few other things

	Hi Joyce,
	 
	For our next and future newsletters, I'd like to see the
following content:
	 
	Copy of unapproved minutes for members to review. (as an
attachment) .  Rene I don't believe that we should be sending out
unapproved minutes.  I think it is up to the board to approve the
minutes to make sure the information is correct.  It is like something
going to print that might have errors. I believe that the approved
minutes should be emailed to the members as soon as they are approved.
I'm with LaNette on this - maybe we could put a summary of what
happened, if you really want them to know. But the minutes should only
go out after having been approved. Maybe this will encourage more to
come to meetings?

	List of current members that have paid 2009 dues and a reminder
that per our
	by-laws, dues are due Sept 1.   I believe that maybe a couple
times a year we should send out a current list of members.  I disagree
with stating who has paid dues and who has not. Reminders to individual
members about late dues are appropriate, but not to the entire
membership community. I would resent this, if I was having a hard time
coming up with my dues. Send out a members list via e-mail, but don't
include it every month. 

	A brief note to the membership updating the status of the
Visitor's Guide.  For
	example, how many members have taken out and paid for an ad to
date.   I think it would be nice to have some information on the
Visitors Guide in the Newsletter.  It is good communication to the
members.  Maybe they might have some suggestions. Again, I do not think
we want to point out who paid and who hasn't paid or even those that
have taken out an ad because to some members that don't take ads I do
not want them to feel like they are any less important than those that
do take out ads. An update on the status of the guide is a great idea
and maybe a number (out of total membership) who has taken an ad out -
example 40/60 members. But don't list by name. You can see who took out
an ad when you get the guide. 

	A list of upcoming chamber events, name of the chair person and
their phone number.  I agree with this completely, but chairs need to
make sure to get Joyce this information in a timely manner. I would add
e-mail to the contact information. 

	A report from each Chair with an update on their event.  I agree
with this also, but the chairs need to make  to get Joyce the
information in a timely manner. They cannot wait for every board meeting
and than expect Joyce to get everything done for the Newsletter in time.
We would need set deadlines for chairs to get info to Joyce so she can
get the newsletter out. If she doesn't receive any information, it is up
to her to include what she wants in the newsletter. I don't think Joyce
should have to hound chairs to get information. If they don't get the
details to her, they can't complain that their event wasn't covered. 

	A monthly report from the Treasurer.  Monies received, detail of
expenses paid
	for the previous month and account balances.  The Newsletter is
not a balance sheet.  I do not think this information is appropriate for
the Newsletter.  I have plenty of reports that I do each month so that
there is never a  question of what was spent where.  I do not have a
problem with Joyce forwarding these reports to all of the members. I do
not have a one page report. I think we should leave this up to the
members - let them know they are available. If they want a copy of the
financials, they can be e-mailed. Joyce can set up a distribution list
of those that want financials sent. If you really want something
included - use the yearly summary page that LaNette gave out at the
meeting. 

	A short note from the President.  I agree a note from the
President is a great idea. Should be included.
	 
	Names and e-mail addresses of our board members.  Again, I think
maybe a couple times a year that this should be done but not every
month. Joyce already has this on the newsletter - she just needs to add
the e-mail addresses. 

	Date of next board meeting.  Agree Yes

	Date of next membership meeting. (Not every board meeting has to
be a membership meeting).  Agree Yes

	A recognition area to thank members for their recent volunteer
efforts.  Agree Again Joyce needs to be given this information in a
timely manner because if she is expected to know who to thank someone
could get missed. Again - we need to set up a deadline (given by Joyce)
of when she needs any newsletter information. Maybe she sends out a
reminder to let us know the deadline is coming up?

	I'd like our businesses to be able to post their new seasonal
hours, particularly
	stores and restaurants.   I think they should be able to post
seasonal hours but I do not think that it needs to be in every
Newsletter. Again the businesses need to get Joyce the information and
if they change anything also get that information to Jocye. This could
be done just for the winter months. I think it could get crazy to try
and include every member's hours in a newsletter every month. Is this
info on the Web site? Anyone could check that during the summer.  

	A feature story each month on at least two current businesses.
I think that this is a good idea.  Who is going to be responsible for
picking who is featured and what information is featured? Joyce is only
one person. The board either needs to decide who to include, or just go
down the list alphabetically. Could they write up their own or is Joyce
okay with doing this? For some businesses, this could be a hard thing to
accomplish. 

	A feature story for each new member.  I think this is a great
idea.  I believe the person that is responsible for getting the new
member should  be doing the feature story.  Joyce is only one person
working 16 hours per week. Great idea - again we need to decide
logistics - who does the writing. 
	
	The fireworks committee has a series of fund raising activities
planned.  We need to
	feature them every month.  I agree that every event that is
being planned should be featured in the Newsletter. Again, Joyce has to
be provided with the information in a timely manner to get this done.
These should be included just like an other upcoming event. 

	 We need to note that we are doing a membership drive to get as
many new members
	now so they may be included in the visitor's guide.  A
membership drive should be included in the Newsletter. The deadline for
this is coming up - doesn't Joyce need all the info by the end of this
month?   

	At this time, I'll ask that our secretary review all content for
accuracy before sending
	it to our membership.  I think we decided that everything should
be forwarded to the entire board and if we do not respond it means we
agree. I agree with this but we need to make sure we respond by the
deadline if we have feedback. Joyce should not have to follow up with
us. The more eyes on things the better. However, I think we need to
trust Joyce when there is a tight deadline. 
	
	I realize your current format requires you to create the
newsletter at home.  For the
	time being, I have no problem with you creating it using Word or
another program
	that is currently available on the Chamber computer.  I know it
won't be
	as nice looking or include pictures, but I feel the content is
more important at this time.  We do not have proper equipment at the
Chamber Office. I really believe that we need to budget in new equipment
and programs so that all of the work of the director can be done at the
chamber office. I agree but what is the problem with Joyce working on
things from home? 

	We need to focus on using the monthly newsletter as a means of
getting timely and
	helpful information to the general membership.
	As for the timing of the newsletter, the secretary should have
the unapproved minutes
	to you within a week of our monthly meetings. The treasurers
report should be presented
	as a short one page document at our monthly board meeting which
you will put in the
	newsletter.   I have enough reports to do as it is.  They are
very detailed. I do not have a one page report.  If Stacey wants to come
up with this from LaNette's report, that is fine. See the comments
above.
	 
	The rest of the information should be easy enough to keep
updated. 
	My letter this month will let them know to contact the chamber
office with seasonal hours of operation and let them know you'll be
featuring a couple businesses each month.  I'll have it to you by
Monday. 
	 
	On a seperate note, all ad monies and forms for the Car Show
should be going to the
	committee chair.  The chair should record his/her list and then
submit the checks to the
	treasurer when the ad sales deadline has been reached.  It is
then the chair's responsibility
	to forward that information to his/her sub committees for
further action.  I know you've been
	helping out, but this is the procedure that should be followed.
I don't agree with this. Keri is not accessible and it does not make
sense to wait to deposit money when we have it ready to go. The
advertising subcommittee can report to Keri where we are but this is
adding in unncecessary work. The advertising subcommittee reports where
we are at just like the rest of the subcommittees. 
	 
	When bills need to be paid, it
	will be the chair's responsibilty to present them to the board
for approval of payment.  We need
	to follow this procedure with each event so nothing falls
through the cracks.  I know you're
	willing to help where ever needed if the chair asks for it.  I
thought we passed the budgets for events so that the chair did not have
to bring the bills for approval each month. Things will become late if
they need board approval for everything.  I have the budgets so if
something comes in way higher than what it on the budget I will not pay
it until I address the board. We really need to clarify this issue -
everyone needs to know how we are supposed to function when it comes to
paying bills for events.

	Lastly, I'd like the secretary to get the chamber mail and
dispurse it.  This is no offense to you,
	but there is information that comes to the chamber that should
be viewed by a board member
	first, not by a member, employee or contractor.  The system is
currently backwards.  It is
	also our secretary's responsibility to discuss correspondence
received at our board meetings.  Now that I have spoke to you, it makes
sense that the secretary gets the mail.  We just need to make sure we
take this off the list of duties for the director. I understand from our
discussion, Rene, why you want this to happen. I agree we need to change
the by-laws. 
	 
	We've come to depend on you as director to perform functions
that board members should
	be doing.  I'd like to correct that, if possible.  I also want
the secretary to review any
	material that may be going to print on behalf of the chamber.
You've been doing a great job
	in that area, but a board member needs to put an approval on any
content that represents
	the chamber.  At this time, I want that approval to come from
the secretary. Again - I think it needs to be the entire board reviewing
info. However, we do need to trust Joyce. She is the best thing to
happen to this Chamber and I don't want to put limits on her ability to
do her job. 
	 
	There are exciting times coming to Port Austin.  We have a year
to get the chamber
	in line with these changes, performing as a well oiled machine
and ready to move into
	the new Welcome Center when completed.  While these changes may
be difficult for you and
	the board, I'm confident you can implement them and help our
chamber move forward. 

	My comments are my opinions. I am not saying that I am correct
about everything. If you or any of the other board members can explain
to make me change my mind I am more than willing to listen.  Sometimes
when someone else explains the reasoning behind  what they would like to
change it can make more sense.
	Thanks 

	
	We need to make sure that we reassure Joyce that we trust her to
do her job. Some of the comments and the way they were presented have
caused her to question that. I know we talked about better ways to
communicate this, Rene, but I think we all need to be careful that this
doesn't become a contentious board. I was there when the Chamber was run
like a dictatorship and there was not a sense of cooperation or
teamwork. It wasn't fun. I know we can get be a great team as we go
forward. Rene, I think you need to talk to the board about your goal of
where you want us to be in the future. 

	I'll have my letter for the newsletter to you by Monday.
	 
	Rene

	
	
________________________________

	Suspicious message? There's an alert for that. Get your
Hotmail(r) account now.
<http://windowslive.com/Explore/hotmail?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_hotmail_acq_br
oad2_122008>  

________________________________

	Send e-mail faster without improving your typing skills. Get
your Hotmail(r) account.
<http://windowslive.com/Explore/hotmail?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_hotmail_acq_sp
eed_122008>