Subject: RE: Monthly Newsletter & a few other things
From: "Wiese, LaNette" <[email-masked]>
To: "Rene Nichols" <[email-masked]>, "Michel & Ilze Ricou, The Port Austin Motel" <[email-masked]>, "Patty and Mike Finan" <[email-masked]>, <[email-masked]>, "Stephen Schmidt" <[email-masked]>, "Darci Finan" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2008 09:26:48 -0500

Rene,
I will forward.
thanks

LaNette R Wiese 
Assistant Branch Manager 
Kinde 
Independent Bank 
989-874-4500 
Fax 989-874-5107 

Privacy Statement: 
This message may contain confidential information that is protected
under state and/or federal law.  If you received this message in error,
please notify the sender by fax or email and delete this message.  If
you properly received this message, you may use its contents only in
strict accordance with our instructions and privacy policy.

If any person makes a false or misleading representation to obtain
customer information, that person may have committed a federal crime,
and we may report that person to the proper authorities.

________________________________

From: Rene Nichols [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Thursday, December 11, 2008 5:10 PM
To: Wiese, LaNette
Subject: RE: Monthly Newsletter & a few other things

Good comments & thanks for taking time to do this......it would probably
be good for each of us to share our comments and any new ideas with the
whole board.....might lead to more good things.....I didn't want to
forward your comments without asking first....Would you mind forwarding
them to the rest of
the board?
 
Talk to you soon,
 
Rene

________________________________

Subject: RE: Monthly Newsletter & a few other things
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2008 13:03:45 -0500
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]

 
 
LaNette R Wiese 
Assistant Branch Manager 
Kinde 
Independent Bank 
989-874-4500 
Fax 989-874-5107 
Privacy Statement: 
This message may contain confidential information that is protected
under state and/or federal law.  If you received this message in error,
please notify the sender by fax or email and delete this message.  If
you properly received this message, you may use its contents only in
strict accordance with our instructions and privacy policy.
If any person makes a false or misleading representation to obtain
customer information, that person may have committed a federal crime,
and we may report that person to the proper authorities.

________________________________

From: Rene Nichols [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Friday, December 05, 2008 4:00 AM
To: Chamber of Commerce; Acct.Abililty/Stacey Viers; Port Austin State
Bank; Port Austin Motel/Ricou, Michel; Captain Morgans; Huron City
Museums; Wiese, LaNette
Cc: Nichols, Rene
Subject: Monthly Newsletter & a few other things

Hi Joyce,
 
For our next and future newsletters, I'd like to see the following
content:
 
Copy of unapproved minutes for members to review. (as an attachment) .
Rene I don't believe that we should be sending out unapproved minutes.
I think it is up to the board to approve the minutes to make sure the
information is correct.  It is like something going to print that might
have errors. I believe that the approved minutes should be emailed to
the members as soon as they are approved. 
List of current members that have paid 2009 dues and a reminder that per
our
by-laws, dues are due Sept 1.   I believe that maybe a couple times a
year we should send out a current list of members.  I disagree with
stating who has paid dues and who has not. 
A brief note to the membership updating the status of the Visitor's
Guide.  For
example, how many members have taken out and paid for an ad to date.   I
think it would be nice to have some information on the Visitors Guide in
the Newsletter.  It is good communication to the members.  Maybe they
might have some suggestions. Again, I do not think we want to point out
who paid and who hasn't paid or even those that have taken out an ad
because to some members that don't take ads I do not want them to feel
like they are any less important than those that do take out ads. 
A list of upcoming chamber events, name of the chair person and their
phone number.  I agree with this completely, but chairs need to make
sure to get Joyce this information in a timely manner. 
A report from each Chair with an update on their event.  I agree with
this also, but the chairs need to make  to get Joyce the information in
a timely manner. They cannot wait for every board meeting and than
expect Joyce to get everything done for the Newsletter in time.
A monthly report from the Treasurer.  Monies received, detail of
expenses paid
for the previous month and account balances.  The Newsletter is not a
balance sheet.  I do not think this information is appropriate for the
Newsletter.  I have plenty of reports that I do each month so that there
is never a  question of what was spent where.  I do not have a problem
with Joyce forwarding these reports to all of the members. I do not have
a one page report. 
A short note from the President.  I agree a note from the President is a
great idea. 
Names and e-mail addresses of our board members.  Again, I think maybe a
couple times a year that this should be done but not every month.  
Date of next board meeting.  Agree 
Date of next membership meeting. (Not every board meeting has to be a
membership meeting).  Agree 
A recognition area to thank members for their recent volunteer efforts.
Agree Again Joyce needs to be given this information in a timely manner
because if she is expected to know who to thank someone could get
missed.
I'd like our businesses to be able to post their new seasonal hours,
particularly
stores and restaurants.   I think they should be able to post seasonal
hours but I do not think that it needs to be in every Newsletter. Again
the businesses need to get Joyce the information and if they change
anything also get that information to Jocye.
A feature story each month on at least two current businesses.  I think
that this is a good idea.  Who is going to be responsible for picking
who is featured and what information is featured? Joyce is only one
person.
A feature story for each new member.  I think this is a great idea.  I
believe the person that is responsible for getting the new member should
be doing the feature story.  Joyce is only one person working 16 hours
per week. 
The fireworks committee has a series of fund raising activities planned.
We need to
feature them every month.  I agree that every event that is being
planned should be featured in the Newsletter. Again, Joyce has to be
provided with the information in a timely manner to get this done.
 We need to note that we are doing a membership drive to get as many new
members
now so they may be included in the visitor's guide.  A  membership drive
should be included in the Newsletter.   
At this time, I'll ask that our secretary review all content for
accuracy before sending
it to our membership.  I think we decided that everything should be
forwarded to the entire board and if we do not respond it means we
agree. 
 
I realize your current format requires you to create the newsletter at
home.  For the
time being, I have no problem with you creating it using Word or another
program
that is currently available on the Chamber computer.  I know it won't be
as nice looking or include pictures, but I feel the content is more
important at this time.  We do not have proper equipment at the Chamber
Office. I really believe that we need to budget in new equipment and
programs so that all of the work of the director can be done at the
chamber office. 
We need to focus on using the monthly newsletter as a means of getting
timely and
helpful information to the general membership.
As for the timing of the newsletter, the secretary should have the
unapproved minutes
to you within a week of our monthly meetings. The treasurers report
should be presented
as a short one page document at our monthly board meeting which you will
put in the
newsletter.   I have enough reports to do as it is.  They are very
detailed. I do not have a one page report.  The rest of the information
should be easy enough to keep updated. 
My letter this month will let them know to contact the chamber office
with seasonal hours of operation and let them know you'll be featuring a
couple businesses each month.  I'll have it to you by Monday. 
 
On a seperate note, all ad monies and forms for the Car Show should be
going to the
committee chair.  The chair should record his/her list and then submit
the checks to the
treasurer when the ad sales deadline has been reached.  It is then the
chair's responsibility
to forward that information to his/her sub committees for further
action.  I know you've been
helping out, but this is the procedure that should be followed.  When
bills need to be paid, it
will be the chair's responsibilty to present them to the board for
approval of payment.  We need
to follow this procedure with each event so nothing falls through the
cracks.  I know you're
willing to help where ever needed if the chair asks for it.  I thought
we passed the budgets for events so that the chair did not have to bring
the bills for approval each month. Things will become late if they need
board approval for everything.  I have the budgets so if something comes
in way higher than what it on the budget I will not pay it until I
address the board. 
 
Lastly, I'd like the secretary to get the chamber mail and dispurse it.
This is no offense to you,
but there is information that comes to the chamber that should be viewed
by a board member
first, not by a member, employee or contractor.  The system is currently
backwards.  It is
also our secretary's responsibility to discuss correspondence received
at our board meetings.  Now that I have spoke to you, it makes sense
that the secretary gets the mail.  We just need to make sure we take
this off the list of duties for the director. 
 
We've come to depend on you as director to perform functions that board
members should
be doing.  I'd like to correct that, if possible.  I also want the
secretary to review any
material that may be going to print on behalf of the chamber.  You've
been doing a great job
in that area, but a board member needs to put an approval on any content
that represents
the chamber.  At this time, I want that approval to come from the
secretary.
 
There are exciting times coming to Port Austin.  We have a year to get
the chamber
in line with these changes, performing as a well oiled machine and ready
to move into
the new Welcome Center when completed.  While these changes may be
difficult for you and
the board, I'm confident you can implement them and help our chamber
move forward. 
 
My comments are my opinions. I am not saying that I am correct about
everything. If you or any of the other board members can explain to make
me change my mind I am more than willing to listen.  Sometimes when
someone else explains the reasoning behind  what they would like to
change it can make more sense.
Thanks 
 
I'll have my letter for the newsletter to you by Monday.
 
Rene

________________________________

Suspicious message? There's an alert for that. Get your Hotmail(r)
account now.
<http://windowslive.com/Explore/hotmail?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_hotmail_acq_br
oad2_122008>  

________________________________

Send e-mail faster without improving your typing skills. Get your
Hotmail(r) account.
<http://windowslive.com/Explore/hotmail?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_hotmail_acq_sp
eed_122008>